Saturday 19 November 2011

Happy to be rejected

Recently I worked up the courage to finally send a story to a paying 'zine rather than to a competition. Sending stories to competitions is not nearly so scary, because your submission will no doubt be one of hundreds, if not thousands, arriving at the same time. Also, you don't get 'rejected' from a competition: you just don't win.

I've been a bit worried about how I would handle rejections when I actually started submitting stories to publishers. I was afraid I would get upset and childish about it. But when I found my first rejection in my inbox a short while ago, I was surprisingly happy.

Why was I happy? Because I got a personalised rejection, with some advice on how the story could be improved, and an invitation to submit more work. I think that's pretty damn good for a first submission. I must be doing something right, after all!

2 comments:

Starcryer said...

Yahy! I am happy for you! Which sounds weird when I say it like that. But it is wonderful that your work got such a good response even if the answer was ultimately a not just yet. That loudly exclaims of positive answers to come. I am not surprised of course, I love your writing. Which one was it by the way? The space ranch?

I have to admit, part of my reluctance to submit things is based on my fear of rejection. A bigger part is empty nest syndrome (my nest is beautiful, it is made out of poetry!). But rejection of something I put so much of myself into... I can't imagine how I would react to that. So I am thrilled that your first experience has been so positive for you, it will make your next submission much less daunting I think.

Anonymous said...

Catherine,
That is amazingly promising for a first rejection. It isn't unusual to feel positive about a rejection. Writers commonly refer to a "good rejection". You are on the right track. Don't be afraid. And keep submitting.