Thursday 5 April 2012

Review of The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I was surprised by just how addictive this book was, especially considering that it had a few things about it that I would normally classify as negatives. For example, I'm not usually a fan of present tense fiction, but the first person present POV of the book only took me a few chapters to get used to, and then after that I found the POV to be most appropriate for the story. What it lost in description, it gained in immediacy. Another negative was that I got the impression throughout the book that if I met the main character, Katniss, in real life, I would not like her. She is a cold and calculating character, and callous with other people's emotions. But again, this worked for the story because of the world that Katniss grew up in. It seemed natural that she would have developed in such a way.

All in all, I found the book most enjoyable, and I will be reading the next two books in the trilogy.


View all my reviews



No comments: