Tuesday 15 May 2012

Book review: Empire

Empire: How Britain Made The Modern WorldEmpire: How Britain Made The Modern World by Niall Ferguson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I listened to the audible.com version of this book, sold under the name Empire: The Rise and Demise of the British World Order.

The information that is present is informative and well-presented. There were, however, notable omissions: he glossed over the indignities suffered by subjugated races a little too quickly in some places; and from his coverage of the Victorian period onwards, he was very obviously biased in his pro-British viewpoint, to the exclusion of other viewpoints.

All in all, I learned a lot from this book, and in the future I will look for other texts to fill in the gaps that Ferguson left.


View all my reviews


No comments: